The Society has been having some virtual quiz nights while we have been unable to meet.
We thought we would share this if you want to give it a try – answers will be published next week.
- The story of which famous WW2 battle is featured in the 1973 film Enemy at the Gates? For a bonus point name the real life Red Army sniper who is the hero of the film.
- Which fighter type, now the name of a popular set of wargames rules, was the mainstay of the rebel forces in the original battles to restore the Republic in Star Wars? For a bonus point name the fighter type used by Darth Vader during the same period.
- Which King of Macedon brought an end to the Persian Empire in the 4th Century BC? For a bonus point name the Persian King he defeated.
- In what year did war break out between Israel and her neighbours, in co-ordination with an Anglo-French assault on the Suez Canal? For a bonus point name the main jet fighter aircraft flown by the Egyptian Air Force during the war.
- Which country picked a fight with Prussia, Austria-Hungary and the North German Confederation in 1864? For a bonus point name the island, at that time owned by Britain, off which a naval action was fought during this war.
- At which Battle in 1781 did the British Army suffer its decisive defeat in the American Revolutionary War? For a bonus point name the commander of the French forces in the battle.
- Who famously wrote “Veni, Vedi, Vici” about his army’s victory in 47BC? For a bonus point name the king or the country of the army he was referring to.
- What battle, fought on 2nd July 1644 made Oliver Cromwell’s reputation as a cavalry commander? For a bonus point name the senior commander of the defeated Royalist Army.
- Who commanded the British Battlecruisers at the Battle of Jutland in 1916, later that year succeeding Admiral Jellicoe as Grand Fleet commander? He is pictured above. For a bonus point name the light cruiser which fought at the battle and is preserved as an IWM museum ship in Belfast, or one of the British Battlecruisers that was sunk.
- Last year’s show game featured the 100 hours war between Honduras and El Salvador. In what year was the war fought? For a bonus point name the manufacturer (or 3 letter designation) and the name of the main fighter flown by the Honduran Air Force.
- Which well-known wargamer played the role of Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar, known as ‘El Cid’, in the Hollywood blockbuster of 1961? For a bonus point give the Spanish name of the long conflict in which El Cid fought, or the city he was defending when he died.
- In what year did Abba win the Eurovision Song contest with the song ‘Waterloo’? For a bonus point name the commander of the British Cavalry who had his leg shot off by a cannonball at the end of this battle, or the wounded Dutch commander of I Corps.