Here are the answers to the quiz:
- Henry V – Georgia
The speech is from Henry V, Act III, Scene 1 and has Henry encouraging his troops to renew the attack after failing to break in to the town. St. George was a Roman officer of Greek descent from Cappadocia, martyred in early persecutions of the church. Also the patron saint of Ethiopia and Catalonia and quite a few other places, as well as England of course!
- Laurence Olivier – Lord Garnet Joseph Wolseley
- Austria-Hungary, Austria or Habsburg Empire acceptable – Prussia and Russia
Flags are the Austrian 1806 Ordinarfahne, 15th Prussian Fusiliers and Lithuanian Life Guard Regiment of the Russian Army
- Tatooine – Tuskan Raiders or Sand People
- Red Baron – Fokker Dr.I or Fokker Triplane (19 out of 80 victories), also Albatross DII, DIII, DV and Halberstadt DII
The nickname comes from his practice of painting his aircraft red, hence German propaganda portrayed his as Der Rote Kampfflieger – the red fighter pilot – as he was a Freiherr (Baron) the rest is history.
- Pharoah Ramesses II or Ramesses the Great – Hittite Empire of Muwatalli II
The battle was more probably a draw. The war dragged on inconclusively until 1258BC. The peace treaty that ended the war is preserved in both Egyptian and Hittite texts and is the earliest surviving peace treaty. A copy hangs on the wall at the UN building.
- T-34/85 – IS-2 (short for Iosef Stalin)
The IS-2 mounted a formidable 122mm main turret gun
- Quebec – Westerham or the Marquis de Montcalm
Wolfe grew up at what is now Quebec House in Westerham – now in the care of the National Trust and well worth a visit
- First Battle of Bull Run – Chancellorsville in 1863
Jackson was a victim of friendly fire from spooked pickets of the 18th North Carolina Infantry, who mistook his party for federal cavalry in the evening light. He was hit three times and died of complications and pneumonia a few days later
- Austria-Hungary – Lissa or Vis
The Italian fleet lost 2 ironclads
- Vittorio Veneto – Spartivento or Tuelada
The Italian Army had nearly 40,000 casualties in the battle, but inflicted 30,000 casualties on the defending Austrians before breaking their lines, capturing a further 300,000 men in their subsequent advance. The machine gunners are in action on Monte Grappa, a diversionary attack to draw Austrian Reserves away from the main assault. Austria-Hungary was forced to accept Allied terms and quit the war as a result of the battle. It is seen by many Italians as the conclusion of the long struggle to re-unify Italy, the Risorgimento.
Spartivento was an attack on the escort of a British convoy and ended as a draw with only minor damage inflicted on both sides. Vittorio Veneto inflicted minor damage on the cruiser HMS Manchester from near misses and fired only 19 rounds of 15″ shell, but forced the British cruisers to retire behind a smoke screen.
- Yom Kippur יוֹם כִּיפּוּר – Day of Atonement, the phrase is לשנה הבאה בירושלים, L’Shana Haba’ah B’Yerushalayim, “Next year in Jerusalem”